Bonfire Night is almost upon us and I think it is important to remember that no matter how beautiful they are, they can also be quite fightening to our four legged friends.
Fireworks can be very scary and cause massive anxiety in dogs! The sounds of bangs are heightened to dogs and so make them even more scary to them than we realise, however often acting like the situation is completel normal and not changing your routine when fireworks are being fired helps.
Here are some tips for Bonfire Night:
1. Try to keep your mannerisms as normal as possible, if you worry your dog worries!
2. Try to take your dog on long walks so that they are super tired
3. Keep your dog away from bonfires and fireworks
4. Set up your dog in a comfortable place to keep them calm if this is not possible:
5. Try and be around different noise so the bangs are drowned out
6. Using pheremones or going somewhere where there are pheremones switched on can often help. Adaptil offer brilliant collars and plug ins that can release pheremones to keep your dogs calm
7. Keep your dog occupied with something different- bone or toy
8. Make sure your dog has a lead on and your chip is working to avoid the worst case scenario and them running away!
Stay safe this weekend!